Skip navigation

Implementing the new Actions for End of Life Care 2014-16

Simon Chapman Director for Public and Parliamentary Engagement The National Council of Palliative Care spoke at today’s End of Life Care conference on:

• implementing the four interdependent components of the framework
• one chance to get it right: moving forward with the five priorities of care
• every moment counts: incorporating in the narrative on end of life care from the person and carer perspective
• working towards a new end of life care strategy for 2015 and beyond

http://www.dyingmatters.org/ 
http://www.ncpc.org.uk/ 

Simon commented on the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman report released today - Dying without Dignity http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/reports-and-consultations/reports/health/dying-without-dignity saying "we need to convert anger into determination to make a difference....bad care stories should not be happening and need to stop now".

Simon discussed the CQC findings on end of life care where 60% of hospitals are rated good or excellent for end of life care leaving 40% as poor.  He said this 'variation' would not be acceptable in any other practice.  He said a well supported workforce is needed to learn from mistakes and near misses to make sure they can't happen again. 

Simon made reference to work on unlocking community care and supporting each other.  He said end of life care has become very medical and health and social care is really important for end of life care.  A whole life approach is needed to support in dying and bereavement.

Simon’s full presentation is available for download at the end of this page.

Simon Chapman spent 12 years in private practice as a barrister before leaving the law behind in 2002 to work in the voluntary sector.  He initially worked as a consultant for NCPC as well as other third sector organisations, before joining them full time in 2009. He is now Director of Policy, Intelligence and Public Affairs  for NCPC and the Dying Matters coalition.
 
He has written extensively on palliative and end of life care, and speaks regularly at conferences across the country. He led NCPC’s successful manifesto campaigns in 2005 and 2010, which have contributed to the growing cross-party and government recognition of the importance of end of life care.  In addition to policy issues, he has written a great deal on advance care planning, the Mental Capacity Act, and ethics-related issues in end of life care. His current priorities include ensuring that end of life care is seen as a core priority for government, decision-makers and organisations at every level, and ensuring that the reformed structures in health and social care will produce improved outcomes for people approaching the end of life and their carers and families. 

In 2014 he was elected as a trustee of National Voices, the national coalition of health and social care charities in England.
 
When not working he enjoys playing cricket, building bonfires and sandcastles with his sons, and walking their lurcher.

Events of interest:

Improving Patient Experience & Experiences of Care
Tuesday 16 June 
Hallam Conference Centre, London

Improving End of Life Care
Wednesday 23 September 
ICO Conference Centre, London

Legal Issues in End of Life Care Masterclass
Thursday 12 November 
Hallam Conference Centre, London


Download: Simon Chapman full presentation

20 May 2015

 PreviousNext 

    Partner Organisations

    The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation TrustInPracticeClinical Audit Support CentrePlayoutJust For Nurses
    GGI (Good Governance Institute) accredited conferences CPD Member ASGBI (Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland) professional partner BADS (British Association of Day Surgery) accredited conferences