Safeguarding people who self neglect: What Works?
Suzy Commented 'Hoarding is part of self neglect and is in the forefront of developing procedures.' 'Mental capacity and refusal is one of the largest challenges within self neglect work'
Suzy's presentation included:
• what is known about the range and scope of self-neglect work nationally
• what challenges are experienced by practitioners and managers in adult social care when working in self-neglect
• what goes wrong – findings from serious case reviews in cases of self-neglect
• what goes right - building an effective strategic infrastructure for interagency communication, decision-making and shared risk-management
• what goes right – practitioners’ perspectives on approaches that support positive outcomes
Suzy Braye is Emerita Professor of Social Work at the University of Sussex, and a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences. Her professional background is in social work, and local authority management.
Her research into self-neglect dates from 2010, and includes:
- A scoping study of the concept of self-neglect
- Braye, S., Orr, D. and Preston-Shoot, M. (2011) Self-Neglect and Adult Safeguarding: Findings from Research. London: SCIE. http://www.scie.org.uk/publications/reports/report46.pdf)
- Braye, S., Orr, D. and Preston-Shoot, M. (2011) ‘Conceptualising and responding to self-neglect: challenges for adult safeguarding’, Journal of Adult Protection, 13, 4, 182-193
- A study of workforce development needs in self-neglect work
- Braye, S., Orr, D. and Preston-Shoot, M. (2013) A Scoping Study of Workforce Development for Self-Neglect. London: Skills for Care. http://www.skillsforcare.org.uk/NMDS-SC-intelligence-research-and-innovation/Research/Research-reports/Workforce-development-for-self-neglect.aspx
- A review of serious case reviews involving self-neglect
- Braye, S., Orr, D. and Preston-Shoot, M. (2015) ‘Learning lessons about self-neglect? An analysis of serious case reviews’, Journal of Adult Protection, 17, 1, 3-18.
- Braye, S., Orr, D. and Preston-Shoot, M. (2015) ‘Serious case review findings on the challenges of self-neglect: indicators for good practice’, Journal of Adult Protection, 17, 2.
- A study of approaches to self-neglect work that produce positive outcomes
- Braye. S., Orr, D. and Preston-Shoot, M. (2014) Self-Neglect Policy and Practice: Building an Evidence Base for Adult Social Care. London: SCIE. http://www.scie.org.uk/publications/reports/69-self-neglect-policy-practice-building-an-evidence-base-for-adult-social-care/
5 October 2015