New report highlights the role of specialist palliative care support to care homes in delivering high quality end of life care
This survey of organisations providing specialist palliative care services to care homes highlights the good work they do and identifies the key challenges they face. The report, commissioned by Public Health England, undertaken by the Marie Curie Research Centre at Cardiff University, with input from the National Council for Palliative Care and Hospice UK, examines the role of specialist palliative care in providing support to care homes in England.
This survey of 108 specialist palliative care services based in hospices, the community or hospitals was conducted between November 2016 and January 2017. 90% of those surveyed had been providing services to care homes for 10 years or more. Just over half provided services within one Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) area, while 5% covered 5 CCGs. 72% were specifically commissioned to provide palliative care support in care homes, while the other 28% were providing ‘at home’ specialist palliative care that included people living in care homes as a usual place of residence.
Currently 22% of deaths in England take place in a care home (including nursing homes). Although 84% of those surveyed said they provided education or training to care homes, the report found a need to reinforce learning across the sector. High turnover of staff was a big obstacle to improving end of life care in care homes, affecting continuity of care and uptake of training. The report also found that specialist palliative care performance measures were more focussed on processes than outcomes and that there could be more emphasis on capturing patient and carer experiences.
The report makes several recommendations, including better data collection, a focus on patient related outcomes rather than numbers, and ways to improve staff training including raising awareness and attainment of key competencies in palliative care.
Future events of interest
Effective Non-Medical Prescribing in End of Life Care
Friday 6 October 2017
De Vere West One Conference Centre, London
8 August 2017