Implementing & monitoring adherence to the New National NICE Quality Standard for Parkinson’s Disease
Monday 15 October 2018
De Vere W1 Conference Centre, London
Follow the conference on Twitter #ParkinsonsQS
This National Conference will focus on Implementing the New 2018 NICE Quality Standard for Parkinson’s Disease.
In February 2018 NICE published the National Quality Standard for Parkinson’s disease covering the management of Parkinson’s disease in adults and describing high-quality care in priority areas for improvement. The conference will offer a platform to discuss what excellence in Parkinson’s Care is, and implementing evidence into practice following the NICE Clinical Guideline published last year.
The Quality Statements are:
• Statement 1 Adults with Parkinson's disease have a point of contact with specialist services.
• Statement 2 Adults with Parkinson's disease taking dopaminergic therapy are given information about the risk of impulse control disorders, when starting treatment and at least annually.
• Statement 3 Adults with Parkinson's disease are referred to physiotherapy, occupational therapy or speech and language therapy if they have problems with balance, motor function, activities of daily living, communication, swallowing or saliva.
• Statement 4 Adults with Parkinson's disease who are in hospital or a care home take levodopa within 30 minutes of their individually prescribed administration time.
• Statement 5 Services for adults with Parkinson's disease provide access to clozapine and patient monitoring for treating hallucinations and delusions.
Professor Richard Walker, Excellence Network Medical Director, Parkinson’s UK, and member of the NICE Guidelines Development Committee and the Quality Standard Advisory Committee said of the New Quality Standard:" I am pleased that the quality standard relates to important aspects of care for people with Parkinson's and hope they will help to improve service quality across England and Wales, and empower the provision of services such as specialist therapists."
Through national updates, practical case studies and expert extended interactive sessions the conference will support you to improve care for people with Parkinson’s Disease and implement the above Quality Statements and recommendations in your service.
This conference will enable you to:
• Network with colleagues who are working to improve services for people with Parkinson’s Disease
• Update yourself on the practicalities of implementing the NEW 2018 NICE National Quality Standard for Parkinson’s Disease
• Learn from the lived experience of people with Parkinson’s Disease
• Understand how to change practice locally as a result of the National Parkinson’s Audit findings
• Reflect on the development of your own services including patient information and communication, medication management and improving psychological therapies
• Self assess your service against the key elements of excellence in Parkinson’s Care
• Improve your skills in anticipatory care planning and end of life care care for people with Parkinson’s Disease
• Gain cpd accreditation points contributing to professional development and revalidation evidence
For full details of the new Quality Standard click here
This event is supported by the UK Parkinson’s Excellence Network - the driving force for improving Parkinson’s care, connecting and equipping all professionals to provide the services people affected by the condition want to see. The Excellence Network offers free tools, education and data that are crucial for better services and workforce development. Learn more here
Also of interest