Supporting International Doctors in the NHS
Friday 5 April 2019
De Vere West One Conference Centre, London
Follow the conference on Twitter #IMGDoctors
“The NHS is dependent on IMG doctors (international medical graduate) to provide a high quality, reliable and safe service to patients. They enrich the NHS with their skills, enthusiasm and diverse perspectives and have become essential members of the UK’s medical workforce.“ British Medical Association
“Entering UK medical practice can be hard for any doctor, regardless of where you’re from or how experienced you are. There can be significant differences in practising medicine in your home country and the UK, and it can be difficult to adapt to working in a new culture.” General Medical Council
As an international Doctor the transition to the NHS is not always an easy one. Different cultures, practices and structures can all represent barriers to effective working and patient care. This conference focuses on the important issue of supporting International Doctors in the NHS, from recruitment and induction to ongoing support. Chaired by Dr Umesh Prabhu, Medical Advisor for International Recruitment this conference aims to improve support to IMG Doctors working in the NHS.
This conference will enable you to:
- Network with colleagues who are working to improve support for international doctors working in the NHS
- Reflect on national developments and learning
- Understand the issues from the perspective of the lived experience of international doctors
- Update your knowledge on implications of changes to the immigration system and Brexit
- Learn from outstanding practice in delivering effective induction for international doctors
- Reflect on what ongoing support international doctors need?
- Identify key strategies for training and education to improving confidence in colloquial conversational English
- Understand how you can tackle discrimination in Healthcare: Ensuring fairness in the workplace
- Self assess and reflect on your own practice
- Understand the role of a positive learning environment in practice to enable overseas doctors’ to reinforce and
- build upon the foundation of the GMC’s Welcome to UK Practice Programme
- Explore your understanding how cultural values can shape professional behaviour
- Gain CPD accreditation points contributing to professional development and revalidation evidence
Plus: attend the pre-conference supplier showcase to hear from Doc2UK.com, a specialist UK medical recruitment and candidate support platform.
Also of interest