Demonstrating Competence using the National Competency Frameworks for all prescribers, & for Designated Prescribing Practitioners.
Claire Callaghan Lecturer in Advanced Nursing Practice opens today's conference, discussing 'Supporting healthcare professionals to prescribe effectively'. The session covers:
• how is the updated national competency framework being used?
• what does good prescribing look like? The ten competency dimensions
• how the framework can be used • levels of prescribing competence
• introducing the new competency framework for designated prescribing practitioners
• moving forward and current issues
Claire discussed examples of competencies…
"Active prescriber… with appropriate knowledge & experience relevant to the trainee’s area of clinical practice
Delivers timely & regular feedback
Ensures that safe & effective patient care remains central to practice through effective clinical supervision
Familiar with process of escalation of concerns & where appropriate engages with this process
Ability to meet all competencies within the framework of competencies for all prescribers assumed"