News and presentations from todays conference.
Non Medical Prescribing: Current Developments
Macmillan Nurse & AHP lead for Cancer, Palliative & End of Life Care
University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust
Board Member UK Oncology Nursing Society
Chair of SACT Members Interest Group and
Board Member UK Chemotherapy Board
• national developments in nurse/non medical prescribing
• developing confidence and competence in your ability to prescribe
• demonstrating compliance with the NMC Code for revalidation
• the national competency framework for all prescribers
• prescribing through Covid-19
• the benefits of nurse prescribing in cancer care
Lisa gave an inspiring opening talk about national developments in nurse/non medical prescribing and the huge and varied benefits of this in cancer care. Delegates heard about how they can improve their service, develop their competence and confidence in their ability to prescribe, and about the role of the national competency framework in what they do. She also covered the impact of Covid-19 on non medical prescribing service delivery – for example we are now seeing more complex presentations and an increase of palliative care due to patients not coming forwards early enough.
“When coronavirus prevalence was at its highest at the start of the pandemic, this resulted in some people facing longer waits for diagnosis, some treatments being delivered in different ways or being interrupted or stopped on the grounds of clinical safety, and some follow-up care being disrupted.”