Follow this masterclass on twitter #ChildAssessment
Find out more about virtual attendance
This virtual masterclass, facilitated by David Glasgow and Bill Joyce, will update delegates on principles of child assessment and include, and train, attendees in the use of This Much!, which is a simple to use but very effective app for eliciting information from children on any topic. It is based on well-established assessment procedures, but is interactive, allowing children to rate people, places, experiences, and sensations using an easily customised scale. The course includes a licensed copy of This Much! for Mac or Windows, which will form the basis of hands-on learning on how to use this tool.
Although the particular emphasis may change between health, education and social care services, all are required to systematically assess, record (and act on) children’s wishes, needs, experiences, preferences or symptoms.
There are few assessment tools which aid in this process. However, professionals who learn to use This Much! are able to create assessments very quickly often in collaboration with children, which closely match the needs of the service and of the child. The app includes template tools for common areas such as anxiety, depression, pain and family assessment as well as the ability to customise to meet your needs.
This Much! enhances engagement with children and young people, and generates both quantitative and qualitative information. Uniquely, the results are generated in a form that children can understand and discuss, as well as numerical data, which may be required by professionals.
This conference will enable you to:
- Understand the evolution of This Much! from established child assessment methods
- Use the standard assessment procedure to assess whether a particular child is able to use the This Much!
- Learn how to create scales for different purposes
- Learn how to set up socially distanced assessments
- Become familiar with the options when undertaking remote and socially distanced assessments using This Much! via Zoom
- Understand how to create and use assessment templates
- Learn the steps needed to use ‘sensitive’ scales which are designed to tap into experiences relating to experiences of adversity and trauma