Follow this conference on Twitter #wardmanager
Find out more about virtual attendance
This conference aims to bring together current and aspiring Ward Managers to understand current issues and the national context, and to develop your skills as a current or aspiring Ward Manager. The conference will open with reflections on the haracteristics and qualities of an effective Ward Manager, and understanding your role within quality and specifically meeting the CQC Quality Ratings at Ward level. The conference will include a look at the challenges and issues as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic for Ward Managers.
“The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic may require health and social care professionals to be flexible in what they do. It may entail working in unfamiliar surroundings or working in clinical areas outside of your usual practice for the benefit of patients, individuals and the population as a whole.”
“ Nursing and midwifery professionals have played and continue to play a critical role in the COVID-19 response… Responding to COVID-19 has often required rapid changes in order to meet demand, while ensuring the care we provide continues to be of high quality.”
The conference will then focus on critical areas for effective Ward Management including developing an extended interactive session focusing on leading and driving improvement on your ward, developing ward accreditation for quality and exemplar wards, supporting Nurses in Difficulty and managing performance concerns – updating you on the new NMC fitness to practise procedures, understanding how ward rounds can be used to improve both staff wellbeing and patient care, supporting vulnerable patients on your ward and reflecting on the day to day life of a Ward Manager including tips for aspiring Ward Managers. Whether you are currently a Ward Manager, or aspiring to be one, this event provides a unique opportunity to learn from the experiences of other Ward Managers, Nurse Directors & National Experts to develop your skills as an effective Ward Manager.
This conference is suitable for current and aspiring Ward Managers/Ward Sisters/Charge Nurses and Senior Nurses.
This conference will enable you to:
• Network with Ward Managers, Aspiring Ward Managers and those who support them
• Examine the Ward Managers role during Covid-19
• Learn from a lived experience of a Ward Manager
• Understand the national context including the CQC role in Ward Inspection and National Nursing developments
• Develop your skills as an Effective Ward Manager
• Learn from experienced Ward Managers about how they handle difficult issues, manage workload and work life balance and improve methods
• Understand the role of the Ward Manager in supporting Nurses in difficulty or experiencing performance concerns in line with the new NMC
• Fitness to Practise procedures
• Improve your leadership skills and empower others to lead and drive improvement on your Ward
• Learn from established practice in monitoring quality including development of exemplar wards and ward accreditation
• Improve your understanding of ward budgets and finance
• Develop your local strategy to improve support for vulnerable patients on the ward
• Self assess and reflect on your own practice
• Gain CPD accreditation points contributing to professional development and revalidation evidence