Follow the conference on Twitter #deterioratingpatient
Find out more about virtual attendance
This conference focuses on recognising and responding to the deteriorating patient and ensuring best practice in the use of NEWS2. There will be a focus on recognising and responding to deteriorating patients with Covid-19.
The Deteriorating Patient Summit focuses on recognising and responding to the deteriorating patient through improving the reliability of patient observations and ensuring quality of care. The conference will include National Developments including the recent recommendations from the Royal College of Physicians on NEWS2 and Covid-19, and implementing the recommendations from the Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch Report Investigation into recognising and responding to critically unwell patients. The conference will include practical case study based sessions on identifying patients at risk of deterioration, improving practice in patient observations, responding to the deteriorating patient, improving escalation and understanding success factors in escalation, sepsis & covid-19, involving patients and families in recognising deterioration, and improving the communication and use of NEWS2 in the community, including care homes, and at the interface of care.
“NEWS2 should be used when managing patients with COVID 19. The use of NEWS2 will ensure that patients who are deteriorating, or at risk of deteriorating, will have a timely initial assessment by a competent clinical decision maker. NEWS2 should supplement clinical judgement in assessing the patient’s condition.”
“The UK Sepsis Trust (UKST) estimates that close to 100,000 people are going to be discharged from hospital having had COVID-19 and, of these, 20% are likely to develop sepsis within the first 12 months.”
This conference will enable you to:
• Network with colleagues who are working to improve the recognition and management of deteriorating patients
• Learn from outstanding practice in improving care for deteriorating patients
• Implement the recommendations from the HSIB Investigation into responding to critically unwell patients
• Reflect on national developments and learning including latest evidence on effective implementation of NEWS2 in patients with Covid-19
• Understand the practicalities of involving patients and their families in the recognition of deterioration
• Develop your skills in identifying deteriorating patients including those with Covid-19
• Understand what success factors facilitate escalation of care and how can these be applied more reliably
• Ensure effective implementation of NEWS2
• Understand how to work with clinical teams to create a language and spread this across the whole health system
• Self assess, reflect and expand your skills in the management of sepsis, and communicating the risks to patients who have recovered from Covid-19
• Gain CPD accreditation points contributing to professional development and revalidation evidence
Delegate feedback from the previous Deteriorating Patient conference:
"Extremely informative and although i did not say too much on the forum our team all attended and we had a whats app group which we have all come away with a little project to progress in our role."
"Myself and my colleagues have already started coming up with ideas we can take from this. Definitely very positive"
"Learnt alot around NEWS2 and the escalation processes."