This conference focuses on recognising and responding to the deteriorating patient and ensuring best practice in the use of NEWS2. There will be a focus on recognising and responding to deteriorating patients with Covid-19.
Follow the conference on Twitter #deterioratingpatient
Find out more about virtual attendance
NEWS2 should be used when managing patients with COVID 19. The use of NEWS2 will ensure that patients who are deteriorating, or at risk of deteriorating, will have a timely initial assessment by a competent clinical decision maker. NEWS2 should supplement clinical judgement in assessing the patient’s condition.
In patients with COVID 19, all staff should be aware that ANY increase in oxygen requirements should trigger an escalation call to a competent clinical decision maker. This should be accompanied by an initial increase in observations to at least hourly until a clinical review happens, if this has not already happened as a result of NEWS2.
The Deteriorating Patient Summit focuses on recognising and responding to the deteriorating patient through improving the reliability of patient observations and ensuring quality of care. The conference will include National Developments including the recent recommendations from the Royal College of Physicians on NEWS2 and Covid-19, and implementing the recommendations from the Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch Report Investigation into recognising and responding to critically unwell patients. The conference will include practical case study based sessions on identifying patients at risk of deterioration, improving practice in patient observations, responding to the deteriorating patient, improving escalation and understanding success factors in escalation, sepsis & covid-19, involving patients and families in recognising deterioration, and improving the communication and use of NEWS2 in the community, including care homes, and at the interface of care.
This conference will enable you to:
- Network with colleagues who are working to improve the recognition and management of deteriorating patients
- Learn from outstanding practice in improving care for deteriorating patients
- Implement the recommendations from the HSIB Investigation into responding to critically unwell patients
- Reflect on national developments and learning including latest evidence on effective implementation of NEWS2 in patients with Covid-19
- Understand the practicalities of involving patients and their families in the recognition of deterioration
- Develop your skills in identifying deteriorating patients including those with Covid-19
- Understand what success factors facilitate escalation of care and how can these be applied more reliably
- Ensure effective implementation of NEWS2
- Understand how to work with clinical teams to create a language and spread this across the whole health system
- Self assess, reflect and expand your skills in the management of sepsis, and communicating the risks to patients who have recovered from Covid-19
- Gain CPD accreditation points contributing to professional development and revalidation evidence