Today's conference is chaired by;
Dr Weeliat Chong
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Weeliat Chong is the Chief Pharmacist and Controlled Drugs Accountable Officer of Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust. He was the Chair of the NICE Medicines Optimisation Committee and the Vice Chair of the NICE Controlled Drugs – Safe Management and Use Committee. Dr Chong was also a specialist member of the NICE Quality Standards Advisory Committee for medicines optimisation.
Controlled drugs and the use of drugs beyond product licence
Consultant Pharmacist in Palliative and End of Life Care
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Interactive talk and discussion with delegates getting involved discussing the issues with prescribing and being careful when prescribing.
Key points include;
- controlled drugs and non medical/nurse prescribing
- the practicalities and governance of prescribing controlled drugs
- non medical prescribing and the use of Syringe Drivers and Syringe Driver combinations
- case study: oral controlled drugs and syringe driver controlled driver
EXTENDED SESSION: Controlled Drugs abuse and diversion by healthcare staff: the scale of the issue and learning from investigations
Professional Advisor - Pharmacy (Interim)
Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership and NHS
England Area Team (Lancashire)
Controlled Drugs Liasion Officer
Greater Manchester Police
This session is a very engaging and informative session, allowing delegates to join in and discuss. Relevant and informative case studies included.
Key points include;
- abuse and theft by staff: what is the scale of the problem?
- identification and warning signs in staff
- the police role in investigation and monitoring concerns and theft by healthcare professionals
- reporting concerns and incidents involving controlled drugs: ensuring that all staff in your
organisation know how to report concerns about diversion and abuse of medicines by
- learning from our inspections in healthcare
- how can you support staff?
- current issues and concerns
- case studies in practice
- Mike Beard's Biography 0.04 MBDOCXfile
- Umesh Patel's Biography 0.04 MBDOCXfile
- Presentation Slides 1.23 MBPDFfile